Monday, September 22, 2008

Student Feedback

One of the journal entries I assigned last week (midway through Windows XP) was to give me feedback on how students were feeling about the class so far. I should have documented all of their comments, but unfortunately I have already graded and handed them back, so the official evidence is lost.

Nevertheless, I do remember some of the positive comments that were made:

  • I like the Scavenger Hunts.
  • The class is well-paced.
  • I have learned a lot.
  • I like working with and getting to know my classmates.

And I remember some of the negative comments too:

  • Some classmates can be annoying.
  • I am sometimes confused.
  • I don't like it when my time is wasted because other students came to class late. One time my partner and I had our hands raised for 10 minutes and never had our question answered. I shouldn't have to wait just because other students are not responsible.

Overall, I was pleased that many students left the "negative feedback question" blank, or said they had nothing negative to report. I was also pleased that many students said they liked everything under the positive feedback question.

The most useful answers were the specific ones. I was really happy that at least one student found the Textbook Scavenger Hunts to be useful, because I have spent so much time developing (and grading) those! I also was glad to see that at least one student felt the class was well-paced, since I also put a lot of effort into organizing class time.

I try to divide class periods up into several segements, involving different ways of learning. Here are some of the activities students do in class:

  • working with a partner or trio
  • working individually
  • exploring/reading the textbook
  • doing practical exercises on the computer (some instructions are text-based, others are entirely visual/graphical)
  • doing practical exercises manipulating physical objects other than the computer (documents and file folders)
  • listening to the instructor or a student volunteer present material
  • following along with the instructor in an interactive demonstration
  • large-group Q&A
  • journalling/reflection
  • open lab time

Overall, the student feedback made me feel that students have reacted positively to the teaching methods I have employed, and that the main issues I need to work on are:

  • being more clear in my instructions and making sure that classroom activities are also helping students to achieve greater competency in the necessary skills
  • continuing to conscientiously foster a classroom climate of helpfulness and cooperation throughout the duration of the course
  • not letting some students monopolize my attention during class at the expense of others (also eyes on the back of my head would help :) )

Considering how nervous I was at the beginning of the semester, I definitely was glad to see that students are not outrageously displeased with the class so far. In fact, their feedback was quite positive, which was a big relief to me!

3 comments:

Teacher in Progress said...

I just realized that I have not handed back this assignment, so I have the "hard data" after all.

Here are the responses from my M/W pm section:

What have you enjoyed about this class so far?
-(blank)
-learning new tools
-assignments are due by midnight
-working with others
-people in the class
-I'm learning more than I thought I would
-Everything but the homework
-Well I have learned so much
-The fun environment
-actually learning stuff that I will use
-learning how to do print screens. The only thing I didn't know how to do so far.
-the students
-its not too hard
-Listening to my instructors beautiful voice
-I have enjoyed the class Environment.
-Learning a few things about Windows XP

What have you NOT enjoyed about this class so far?
-homework
-homework
-computer work
-easy but yet confusing
-Well, I don’t like computers that much to begin with.
-Homework
-The amount of homework and in-class assignments
-I love it ha ha
-When I can’t figure out how to do something.
-Nothing. good teacher
-Everything is ok so far
-I know alot of the stuff already
-Journals, Scavenger Hunts
-I have not enjoyed how tedious and pain staking the textbook work is.
-Journals

Teacher in Progress said...

Here are the comments from my M/W am section:

What have you enjoyed about this class so far?
-Interacting w/others
-The help from you and other students.
-yes
-yes
-using print screen
-Learning
-Everyone helping eachother even though we all have different skill levels
-yes, its fun and keeps me awake and actually doing and accomplishing things
-Locul easy to talk and ask questions
-The little tricks that you are not able to figure out by yourself. It’s real interesting.
-Learning how to print screen, and how to save files on one folder and learning to use the textbook when your in trouble. 
-Learning
-That we do a lot in class and I get a lot of help
-all of it.
-feel more comfortable
-Learning the basics of the computer, & managing files.
-yeah


What have you NOT enjoyed about this class so far?
-I need MORE help & to go SLOWER than others!!!!!!!!
-(blank)
-nothing
-Print screens and my computer not cooperating
-the blackboard :/
-Not Enough Time To Do Everything And My Brain Power To Remember It
-nothing I enjoy it all
-working w/computers. Haha I’m a little computer slow.
-the assignments
-At times the workload and balancing classes, but it’s not all that bad.
-To be able to understand the class/how to use the comp.
-Getting technical things wrong that I know how to do
-my laptop has Windows Vista but it’s ok my home computer has Windows XP
-N/A
-feel overwhelmed
-Some of the students get annoying.
-it seems so easy only because I do have computer exsperience

Teacher in Progress said...

Comments from Tues evening section:

What have you enjoyed about this class so far?
-learning new stuff, relearning old stuff that was forgotten.
-learning new keyboard tricks.
-I enjoy this class very much! The people are nice and it is very well paced.
-I have found a deeper appreciation for my current computer knowledge.
-yes
-I enjoy the style of learing that we are using to learn XP. The lectures are interesting and the exercises are fun.
-The Scavenger hunts.
-The help from you + my classmates.
-The class participation.
-Very nice atmosphere, good with handling the class and students.
-Being able to accomplish something new and the patience of the teacher with my confusion.
-Everything
-the general knowledge
-Im just starting 2 figure out the hole computer thing
-The first step in “getting along” w/computers
-being able to work independently

What have you NOT enjoyed about this class so far?
-pretty basic sometimes
-Homework.
-Whats not to enjoy? That’s the real question. 
-Relearning the mouse. JK, everything is fine, your doing a great job.
-I have
-I havent enjoyed the visual workshops so far. Although now knowing how to do them properly, hopefully that will change. : )
-The amount of homework.
-I enjoy I look forward to class
-only that it is at night
-not having a book yet but that’s my fault.
-Sill being confused about all the different types of log in. For example, navigating ???? is sometimes confusing. I need to practice this more. Blackboard vs. Email vs. Course Documents.
-Nothing
-it’s on Tuesday-the only day the Lab is open late enough for me to go.
-2 Long!
-I am kind of a “thick sponge” I soak up information slower than most. A lot of info in a hurry for beginner?
-N/A