Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Journalling #2

The Quote Journal I blogged about on June 2 was designed for an English course, but could it be modified for use in a computer class?

For a long time, I have been using motivational quotes and a quick discussion of the quote to start each class period. My experience has been that motivational quotes can get students thinking and interacting, provide opportunities for students to share personal information (sometimes even fears and insecurities which are often shared by others), and they reinforce the role of education in attaining personal goals. Occasionally the quotes seem superfluous, but often they help students open up and feel more confident about their ability to succeed in computer class.

However, the on course activity adds a new dimension to quotes: journalling. Would journalling work in my computer classes? I think so.

Here are some variations I can think of:

-a one-minute open-ended journal to clear your head before class

-a one-minute journal related to a motivational quote provided by the teacher

-a quote journal (students provide the quotes, commentary not required)

-a short journal activity via email or discussion board

-short reflective journal questions, such as "What could I do to improve my performance in this class?" or "What study techniques might help me retain this information?"

-short feedback journal pieces, such as "What, if anything, did you find difficult about this assignment?" or "So far, what is the most useful thing you have learned in this class?"
I think that journalling is a really useful tool for practicing critical thinking, allowing students to have more participation and control over their own learning, addressing potential barriers or set-backs students may face, and when done in class it allows for silence and internal reflection.
I'm going to consider implementing a journalling activity in my computer classes this fall.

No comments: